Whey protein is the English name given to whey protein. Milk is composed of two groups of proteins: casein and whey. Whey protein can be separated from casein in milk or form a by-product for cheese making protein powder reviews.
Whey protein is considered a complete protein, contains all 9 essential amino acids and is low in lactose content.
Health benefits of Whey protein or whey
There are many benefits associated with the consumption of whey protein and researchers are constantly searching for new therapeutic properties. However, it must be taken into account that there are still not enough studies carried out in humans to corroborate its efficacy that is why it is very important to consult the doctor before consuming it.
The main advantages of consuming whey protein include:
- Prevention of diseases and increase in well-being: Whey protein helps to improve physical health in general and at the same time prevents diseases and infections. It can help slow the progression of cancer and prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Promotes skin growth and accelerates wound healing: By making skin growth faster it can be especially beneficial to heal large wounds and those of burn victims.
- Reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood: Contributes to the significant decrease in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, known as the “bad cholesterol”, which helps prevent arteriosclerosis and heart disease.
- Help control weight: According to Equilibria Fitness, whey has a satiating effect, which avoids the anxiety of eating compulsively. Likewise, it reactivates the basal metabolism and helps to gain muscle mass, especially if its consumption is complemented by physical exercise.
- Help reduce stress: Feeling stressed can often lead to overeating. Whey protein helps reduce the production of cortisol, a hormone that the body secretes when it undergoes stress. It also promotes the secretion of the hormone serotonin which has a calming effect.
Some people allergic to milk may also be allergic to the serum. In moderate doses the whey protein usually does not cause any adverse effects. However, the consumption of severely high doses can cause stomach pain, cramps, decreased appetite, nausea, headache and fatigue.